Thursday, May 18, 2017

Mod Podge Blog Hop

This might be my favorite project this year:
 I wanted to create a fun serving tray that I could carry two drinks on that would not only serve as something of function, but also a focal piece. I have no intention of serving food on it so I knew I could add some fibers on the inside of the tray to finish it off.
 I started off with dominoes that I found at Walmart, a tray I picked up at Joann's, Beacon 527 adhesive, Cowgirl Digital from Calico Collage , Sparkle Mod Podge (because every Cowgirl can benefit from a little bling, right?), and Dishwasher Mod Podge.
 The first thing I did was adhere the digital download images to dominoes. I did not ink the edges, because those would not be seen in the tray. I also really liked the white! For this tray I needed 34 dominoes.
 Using Beacon 527 I laid the dominoes like tile on the tray making sure to mix up the pattern to create interest.
 I applied a medium coat of the sparkle Mod Podge first stirring well with my brush. It is important to stir and not shake it. I let this dry overnight.
 Since my intention is to use this as a serving tray with cold beverages I needed to make it waterproof. I will never run it through a dishwasher because it is medal and will rust. Plus, I wanted to use some fun burlap in it. The dishwasher Mod Podge is safe for a dishwasher which means it is waterproof so I finished off the project with it. I layered it on really thick making sure that it filled in the holes between the dominoes. I let this sit for 28 days.It takes that long to properly make sure it is cured. I then finished it off by adding burlap to the edges with the Beacon 527.
I am very happy with how it turned out! Not only can I serve drinks on it, I can also prop it up to display when not in use. 

Make sure to check out how other crafters used Mod Podge in their art!

Until Next time -- Happy Crafting!

Betz

10 comments:

ruskingirl said...

Betz, thanks for the very CUTE idea. I just happen to have dominoes so now I need a tray. Love Calico Collage too thanks to you.......

Betsie Morris said...

I found a ton of serving trays like this for half the cost of what I paid at Walmart. Thanks for hopping over <3

Erin Reed said...

super cute!!! I love this :)

maria soto said...

love the domino idea, this is fun tray.

Emma Ivemey said...

Those vintage images are gorgeous! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Cute project. Love the dominoes.

Steph Ackerman said...

Cute project.

Annmakes said...

Great project and great piece of home decor that is so practical. Way to go!

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

Beautiful! I love those images!

Desiree' Clary said...

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!