Thursday, April 27, 2017

Get Your Kicks on Route 66!

I like to take the kids on a trip over spring break. This year we could not be gone long so we decided on the Petrified Forrest. It ended up being one of the best trips EVER!
 The first stop on our trip was to see the Man Standing on the Corner in Winslow AZ


 Reaally the only good place to stop for lunch on the way to the Petrified Forrest was in Winslow and we stumbled upon this place which ended up being the highlight of the trip for me!
 I adored all the medal animals!
 Inside this hotel was an AMAZING art gallery that was open to the public. Though the pieces are political in nature I was mesmerized and could appreciated the beauty in it.






 Once we reached the Petrified Forrest we checked into our hotel. We decided on the Wigwam motel. Not only is it a historical mark, the Cozy Cone motel in the movie "Cars" is based off this place AND the historical cars that line the wigwams. These cars were not added after the movie. Disney based the characters off of these cars that have been here for decades. I also happen to be a sucker for old cars. In fact, my dream car is a 1956 baby blue white topped Chevy. I was in heaven!









 This was our Wigwam we stayed in. It was so much fun! The inside had two queen beds, a bathroom and a television. It was quite comfortable and the shower was pretty good!
 The next day we headed to the Petrified Forrest and we ran across the old Route 66 that was never paved.
 If you are ever on I40 and see these small wooden poles you are looking at the old Route 66!
 The first stop in the Park was the amazing Painted Desert.

 Finally we saw what we came for -- the Petrified Forrest!


 The trip, though short, was so much fun! I created an album to document it all in. One or two pages in my family scrapbook just was not going to be enough room.
You can see the album and get more of the story here

The journaling kit I used is actually a digital download from Calico Collage  and check out Brutus Monroe for the awesome peg stamp alphabet and ink.

Until next time ~ Happy Crafting

No comments: