Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Apple Falls Not Far From the Tree

My nine year old son, Logan, was selected for an award in a local art show. His teacher submitted his work for him, but did not tell him until Logan won. Logan is struggling in school. In fact, he down right hates school, but his art teacher he loves. Logan reads at about a first grade level, reverses his letters, runs funny, and is a resource student. He also thinks he is dumb. I am homeschooling him next year because I have to build his self confidence and focus on his strengths and interests. His art teacher has agreed to work with Logan next year even though he will be home schooled. Look at my proud little guy! Oh, and his art teacher said that he has not ever seen a child that can think as abstractly and such a high level at this age...so my kid ain't dumb!

1 comment:

Tara O said...

Of course he's not dumb! Poor little guy. I hope you are able to help instill a love of learning next year!

Remember that as a public schooled student coming home, he will need some unschooling time. No I don't mean the abstractness of real unschooling but he's going to need some down time. Hang in there. you my friend are in for a BUMPY ride.