One of my favorite sweets growing up was my Mom's Lemon Bars. She used to make them periodically through out the year and I would savor each sweet tart bite. The powdered sugar on the top is really what sets these apart! I always thought they were time consuming, challenging and had secret unknown ingredients. As a seven year old the whole world was magical including these Lemon Bars. About 25 years later, after my Mom had given me the recipe, I realized how easy they were to whip up. Just don't leave off the powdered sugar -- it is kind of a big deal :-)
3/4 C butter
1/3 C sugar
1 1/2 C flour
Lemon Bar (or the guts):
1 1/2 C sugar
3 Tablsp flour
1/3 C lemon juice
lemon zest of one lemon
Preheat oven 300F
1) Mix crust ingredients together and press into bottom of a 9x13 pan.
2) Bake for 20 minutes
3) As it bakes, mix the guts up either whisking by hand in a bowl or electric mixer on medium-low speed.
4) After 20 minutes pull crust out of the oven and turn it up to 350.
5) Pour the guts on the hot crust.
6) Pop back in the oven for 20 minutes
7) Do not let these overcook! They will continue cooking as they cool and firm up.
8) Let them cool for about 30 minutes and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
9) Continue cooling for a few hour or until firm. Cut into bars and have at it :-)