Thursday, July 19, 2018

Updating my Craft Desk

I have been working on the same desk for two decades and though I love it, it is time to bring it into this century. I purchased this desk as part of a set as Costco. It has been in a few different rooms in my home, but about seven years ago it finally found its resting place in my craft room. I like how much work space I have on it. It also is well made and sturdy.

 Not only did I want to change the color, I also wanted to clean and cover many of the paint and mist spots I had on it from creating. I wanted to go with a color that would benefit from my mess -- add character. I gave it a good cleaning and tried to remove as much of the dried on glue as I possible. I then had my boys cover my work area with a large plastic tarp.
 I decided to first paint the desk in Ivory followed by Jade . I purchased two jars of it.
 I was skeptical when the instructions stated the desk did not need to be prepped. I just needed to make sure it was free from dust. However, not only did the Ivory paint go on beautifully, it dried fast! I did let it set over night before I applied the Jade just to be on the safe side, but it was unnecessary.
I painted the Jade over the white.
 I used Painter's Tape to tape around my knobs as to not get paint on those. I wanted to replace them, but they ended up being to cumbersome to remove.


The Jade dried as fast as the Ivory.

I took a piece of sandpaper to distress the edges and let the white show through. However, I did not finish it because this is my craft desk and it would distress, scratch and ding up in time with as hard as I am on it.

I was able to move my supplies back on my desk rather quickly after applying the paint.
 I am so pleased with how it turned out. It really makes the desk pop and brings a smile to my face every time I walk into the room.
Until next time ~ Happy Crafting! 


No comments: