Thursday, June 8, 2017

Finnabair Steampunk

In October of 2016 I attended a mixed media retreat. I learned how to do the Finnabair technique and made this box:
I was addicted to this new form of art that I had never ventured into before. I taught it to my daughter and for Christmas we made boxes like the above for the ladies and for her Grandpa a big letter for his man cave! 

 When I was designing for Beacon I made this canvas:
 I have not gotten much of an opportunity to use this technique until a recent ATC trade in which I had to alter playing cards. One of the themes was steampunk. I created this for the trade:
 When I made the above card I wanted it to be an "Alice in Wonderland" theme. So, I used three digital downloads from Calico Collage . I was so happy with the outcome that I sent the owner a picture of it. She liked it so much and asked if I had done a video tutorial on it. Sadly I had not, but I decided to go ahead and do one. This is the card I created in the tutorial:
There are a few things to keep in mind when doing this technique. First, use your leftovers! Don't go out and buy things for it because you will go broke. This is a great way to use up your stash. The cool thing is you don't have to just use medal. You can use anything. I mean ANYTHING. It all gets gessoed black so it does not even matter. Second, it takes some time because there are multiple steps that require drying. Third, use a light touch and dry brush technique to apply the metallic color. If you want to check out the video on how to do this please go HERE.

Until next time ~ Happy Crafting!
Betz

No comments: