Friday, January 8, 2016

Coaster Set

 My very favorite monthly kit comes from the Flying Unicorn. Check out there store here! Each kit contains an off of the page project. This month it was coasters and I knew just what I was going to do with them! I have a fondness for pin-ups from the WW 2 era. I have a friend who is an amazing seamstress whom also happens to adore pin ups, so I decided to make this coaster set for her. All of the coasters and holder was made with the January kit from Flying Unicorn. I painted it first with black gesso and went to town from there!
 The sentiment on a few of these were actually an after thought. They are clear stickers that are part of the kit. Once I got done with each coaster I ran across the stickers and added them.
 I inked the edges of the coaster with the chalk ink in the kit. This helped hide some of the not so perfect measurements around the edges.
 The lace little tabs were the perfect size for the coasters and matched the décor well.
 I used a matte gel over the coasters in hopes that it would make them waterproof so they could be used to hold drinks on. It caused the coasters to buckle and bubble. I was concerned that they would eventually tear, so I came up with something else. Something that is not from the "art" world to make them truly waterproof and stand the test of time. I am not sure if I came up with something extremely clever or if I am a true redneck :-). I used this on the side with the pin up:
Yep! That is packing tape. I was a little nervous to try it at first, but once I did I really liked how it looked! Not only are the coasters waterproof, if something spills on them they can easily be wiped clean.

Until next time -- Happy scrappy!

No comments: