Thursday, January 15, 2015

Salted Toffee Bars

I wanted to get back into my kitchen this week and whip up a treat. However, I wanted it to be different than my usual cookies and cupcakes. I also wanted a break from chocolate (I know....what is wrong with me, right?). I have been craving something salty, sweet and rich so I came up with these awesome little nuggets of heaven! Not really nuggets of heaven, but you get the point :-) The shortbread crust paired with the caramel butterscotch center and topped with toffee bits and sea salt make it the perfect two bite treat. 
 This recipe is a little bit of work, but really require little measurement and ingredients. The hardest thing is waiting for them to cool so you can eat one. Even that process can be speed up by placing them in the refrigerator for about two hours instead of leaving them on the counter over night. I mean, let's be honest, if I were to have left them on the counter before they were cool I would have just taken a fork or spoon to the pan and made a meal of it.

Preheat oven 350

1) Line a 9 by 13 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
 2) In your mixer combine the butter, brown sugar and flour until it resembles this:
 3) Press the crust into the pan as evenly as possible.
 4) Bake for 15 minutes.
5) As the crust bakes combine in a heavy sauce pan the can of sweet and condensed milk and butter. Stir constantly as the butter melts and the mixture becomes warm.
 6) Take the crust out of the oven after 15 minutes and carefully pour the milk mixture over it.
7) Return to oven for 15 minutes until milk mixture is darker and bubbly. It is okay if the edges are a little too dark. You are just going to cut those off :-)
 8) Sprinkle the butterscotch chips over the hot milk mixture and return to the oven for 4 minutes,
 9) Smooth and spread the butterscotch to the edges.
 10) Top the butterscotch with sea salt and let cool completely before cutting into bars. 
 Yummy for my tummy :-)
 Get in my belly!

Ingredients:

Crust:
3/4 C butter brought to room temperature
3/4 C brown sugar
1 1/2 C flour

Filling:
1 can sweet and condensed milk
4 TBLSP butter

Topping:
2 C Butterscotch chips
1 1/2 C Toffee bits
1 TBLSP sea salt

No comments: